Following PM’s address to the nation on Monday, the Union Health Ministry has released the maximum price private hospitals can charge for COVID-19 vaccines. While the prices for Covishield and Covaxin are set at Rs. 750 and Rs. 1410 respectively, Russia’s Sputnik V is priced at Rs. 1145.

The Union Health Ministry, in a letter to all states and union territories, urged them to regularly monitor the prices charged by private hospitals for the respective vaccines. It also stated that any cases of overcharging would be liable to strict action. These changes in the revised vaccination policy are set to go into effect from the 21st of June.

Also Read: Indian Government books 30cr doses of the second Indian made Covid19 vaccine from Biological E

In Monday’s address, PM Modi had stated that prices for each vaccine would be set by its manufacturers. Rs. 150 was set as a fixed service charge for the private hospitals.

The Serum Institute of India, producing Covishield, sells its vaccine at Rs. 600 per dose. Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin is sold at Rs. 1200 per dose and Russia’s Sputnik is priced at Rs 948 per dose. On the basis of these rates, adding GST and service charges to the same, the private vaccine prices have been capped by the Centre. 

Centre fixes COVID-19 vaccine prices for private hospitals

Also Read: Feasibility testing of Mixed vaccines to start soon in India

However, the centre also added that the prices set now are as of current prices only. They implied that the prices could be modified in the future if the manufacturers change their vaccine prices.

The Centre also announced a centralized vaccine policy on the 7th. According to this, free vaccination for all above 18 years of age is set to begin on the 21st of June. The Centre is also set to bear the price of 75% of states’ vaccine requirements, leaving the other 25% for private hospitals to acquire directly from the manufacturers.

Krithika P V

By Krithika P V

A journalist in the making who aims at fair, unbiased and ethical journalism

2 thoughts on “Centre fixes COVID-19 vaccine prices for private hospitals”

Your comments