I’m devastated by the loss of my friend and guru, Saroj Khan. Will always be grateful for her work in helping me reach my full potential in dance. The world has lost an amazingly talented person. I will miss you💔 My sincere condolences to the family. #RIPSarojji
— Madhuri Dixit Nene (@MadhuriDixit) July 3, 2020
Woke up to the sad news that legendary choreographer #SarojKhan ji is no more. She made dance look easy almost like anybody can dance, a huge loss for the industry. May her soul rest in peace 🙏🏻
— Akshay Kumar (@akshaykumar) July 3, 2020
My first genuine teacher in the film industry. She taught me for hours how to do the ‘dip’ for film dancing. One of the most caring, loving & inspiring persona i have ever met. Will miss you Sarojji. May Allah bless her soul. Thank u for looking after me.
— Shah Rukh Khan (@iamsrk) July 3, 2020
Saroj khan’s Life & Career
- She started her career as a child artist at the age of three with the film Nazarana as child Shyama, and a background dancer in the late 1950s.
- She learnt dance while working under film choreographer B. Sohanlal
- She married him at the age of 13 while he was 43 years and was already married with 4 children which she did not know at the time of marriage.
- In 1975, she got married to businessman Sardar Roshan Khan. They were blessed with a daughter, Sukaina khan, who is known to run a dance institute in Dubai.
Saroj’s Bollywood Coreography Career
- She herself shifted to choreography, first as an assistant choreographer
- later getting her break as an independent choreographer, with Geeta Mera Naam (1974).
- She had to wait many years to receive acclaim, which came with her work with Sridevi’s Hawa Hawai in Mr India (1987), Nagina (1986) and Chandni (1989).
- During with Madhuri Dixit its hit moment of Ek Do Teen in Tezaab (1988), Tamma Tamma Loge in Thanedaar (1990) and Dhak Dhak Karne Laga in Beta (1992).
- she went to become one of the most successful Bollywood choreographers.
Saroj’s Televisionnces shows
- Saroj Khan appeared on a reality dance show as a member of the jury in 2005 Nach Baliye, which aired on STAR One along with two other judges.
- In the second season of the same show. She has recently been a judge for the show Ustaadon Ka Ustaad, which is aired on Sony Entertainment Television (India).
- On the 2008 show Nachle Ve with Saroj Khan, which was aired on NDTV Imagine. She choreographed for this show.
- On Sony’s Boogie Woogie (TV series) show from December 2008 as one of the judges, along with Javed Jaffrey, Naved Jaffrey and Ravi Behl.
- She was a judge on the third season of a popular show – Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa, which began on 27 February 2009 and was aired on Sony Entertainment Television (India) alongside former Nach Baliye judge Vaibhavi Merchant and actress Juhi Chawla.
- She was judging the dance reality show Nachle Ve with Saroj Khan. She has hosted and completed Nachle Ve with Saroj Khan.
Saroj Khan’s Documentry
- In 2012, The Saroj Khan Story, a documentary produced by PSBT and Films Division of India and directed by Nidhi Tuli was released.
- She appeared in Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah as Judge in a Dance Competition.