Health is defined as a state of complete physical, mental and social well being and not merely the absence of any disease or infirmity.
Mental health is not just the absence of any mental disorder. It is defined as a state of well-being in which every individual realizes his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, fan work productively and fruitfully and is able to make a contribution to her or his community.
So to understand mental health in a more proper sense or having the right knowledge about it we can have a look on basic few characteristics of a mentally healthy person which are as follows
- A mentally healthy person feels comfortable about himself; he feels secure and never underestimates his own ability.
- The person feels positive towards other people in the society i.e. he/ she understands others and tries to indulge with other people. He is able to trust others.
- The person able to meet the demands of life. He/she knows to manage their feelings etc.
Next question which arises: Why is mental health important?
It is important because it can help you to cope up with your stress, be physically healthy, have good relationships in society etc.
Next question which arises: What are the warning signals of a poor mental health?
- The person is always stressed?
- The person is not able to concentrate because it unrecognized reasons
- The person is unhappy without any particular cause
- The person looses temper easily and is troubled by regular insomnia.
- The person dislikes being with the people around and considers himself to be always right and the other person to be always wrong.
- The person is constantly bitter and has mood swings.
So these are the initial signs a person has when he/she has poor mental health.
So, what should you do if you think you have a mental health problem?
If you think that you may have a mental health problem, get help. Talk therapy and/or medicines can treat mental disorders.